Thursday, March 14, 2013

i’m channelling my inner gok wan.

Emma 1
I was recently approached by the lovely people behind Specsavers. They offered me an eye test and pair of designer specs in exchange for an honest review on my blog.

I’ve been going to Specsavers since I was fourteen or fifteen and I’ve never had any complaint. To be honest, I was pretty excited about going through the spectacle-getting process again.

I booked my test for last Tuesday week in Specsavers on Cruises Street in Limerick and sat around instore for about ten minutes waiting to be seen. An assistant then took me into a room and measured how well my eyes focused. She also blew some puffs of air onto my eyeballs. (Not pleasant but necessary, I suppose.) She explained what she was doing as she was doing it which earns brownie points in my book – I like to know how my body works.

After sitting around for another twenty minutes, I was finally seen by the optician, a lovely woman who explained my eyes to me, astigmatism and all. She pointed out that the battered state my own glasses were in offered no real benefit to my sight. Because of my astigmatism, if my lenses are off by only a couple of degrees, my vision is affected. She went through the examination, explaining everything as she went, and afterwards passed me over to another assistant who helped me choose my frames.

I’d had a pair of blue Gok Wan aviator style glasses in mind – definitely statement specs – but when I tried them on, the assistant advised me against them: they didn’t suit my face shape and they moved when I smiled. I ended up choosing a different pair of Gok Wans – cream with a slight cat-eye. They’re very ladylike and pretty and yet I feel like I stand out. (My friend Niamh suggested that those of us who feel we aren’t pretty will find other ways to stand out – this is certainly true for me.)

While in store, the optician asked me if I’d thought about contact lenses. In fact, I’ve been thinking about them a lot lately. Unfortunately, because my eyes are so strange and astigmatic, daily contact lenses aren’t available in my prescription, which is annoying if you don’t want to wear them every single day. With monthlies, you’d be wearing them most days just to get your money’s worth. I asked to book a contact lens fitting and found that last Saturday was a special day in the Specsavers calendar in which all contact lens fittings were free. I said, ‘Pencil me in!’ I’ve since been fitted and taught and I’ve ordered the contact lenses – a three month supply including solution for €71. I was seriously impressed with the price, expecting them to cost double that due to my dodgy eyes.

I collected my glasses on Monday and they are a beauty. I’ve been a Gok Wan fan since I first spotted him on How to Look Good Naked and I’ve been coveting a pair of his glasses since he launched his brand in 2011.

Overall I had a really good experience with Specsavers this time around. Despite having to wait around a bit, the service was good and the opticians and assistants were more than happy to answer any questions I had. (I’m that type of person; I always have questions.) I’m thrilled with my new glasses and have already received a multitude of compliments. My new look has been described as “1950s journalist,” which I love. Thanks a million to Specsavers!

(I got my friend Niamh to take a few snapsnots of me in my Gok Wan glory. Needless to say, I have no modelling skills whatsoever. Luckily the rain held off for a little while!)

Emma 2Emma 3Emma 4

You can check out all the designer frames Specsavers has to offer by clicking here.
The Cruises St store can be accessed by clicking here.

Photos by Niamh Broderick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so feel free to share your opinions and your stories! However, comments are moderated so that I won't experience undue harassment or humiliation; if your comment is hateful or offensive, it won't be published.