Wednesday, September 12, 2012

birthday and scotland and boobs.


Balloons

It’s been a while since I’ve had the time, the patience, or the inspiration to write about anything worthwhile but now that my birthday is over and done with and my adventures in Haggis Country (normal people read: Scotland) are fast approaching, I thought I’d bang out some consonants and vowels, and hope that they make sense. Sometimes they do. Sometimes these hieroglyphics mean something.

I turned 21 last Sunday. After a long weekend of eating shit food and drinking too much cider (and yet not enough) and being around people, it feels good to be alone with my thoughts (and a glass of Irish Country Cream, courtesy of Becks).

My birthday went pretty well. I made cute bunting from the pages of Harper’s Bazaar and some baby pink florist’s ribbon. I also filled some heart-shaped balloons with helium and much to my amusement, they ended up looking more like nipples and arses than love hearts. (If you know me, you’ll know that that’s about a thousand times more appropriate for my birthday party.) I made some little party favours filled with sugar-heavy sweets and confetti stars, as well as providing blowing bubbles which mysteriously vanished on the night. The food, which I worked all summer long to pay for, was delicious. And there was so much of it! The cake was quality and I almost cried blowing out the candles (20 plus 1 dinosaur) and receiving my 21 awkward, wet, and lovely kisses.

I got some lovely presents, including Country Cream (Cunt Cram), Buck’s Fizz, Soap & Glory stuff, cute necklaces and some much appreciated moolah – which I then spent shopping online: two gorgeous skater skirts on Boohoo.com as well as a grungy tank top and the most purrrrfect shoes. I got a denim shirt from Forever 21 (as I am now forever 21) and I’m seriously considering buying the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. I so rarely have a good birthday, and it’s even rarer that I have such a disposable amount of money on my hands – the couple of Euros I have left are burning a hole in my pocket!

To round off my birthday weekend nicely, I got the result of my I Grade assignment (that’s Incomplete Grade to all you non-UL people – if, due to illness, you don’t meet all of a module’s requirements during the semester, you can take the repeat assessment in the summer). I got an A1. I laughed. I honestly thought it was a mistake at first. My essay, on feminist theories in The Company of Wolves by Angela Carter, was a complete rush job (as usual), though I really did feel very passionately about the subject. Maybe that’s what saved me. (The combination of Out in UL and Literary Theory has turned me into a feminist.)

More good news yesterday morning when my grand letter finally came confirming that I’d be getting some dosh to further pursue my education. This priceless piece of paper meant that I could apply for an overdraft from the bank to fund my adventures in Scotland while I’m waiting for the first grant instalment to come through (we’re talking maybe October). So the overdraft is applied for, my registration fee is paid, my orders from Boohoo.com and Forever 21 have been dispatched, and I’m heading off to Glasgow on Saturday.

I have a couple of leftover pint tokens from my birthday party (and the generosity of my lovely family) so I’m thinking I’ll call into The Strand on Friday evening for a sup of cider and some quality time with my lovely friends. Also on Friday, I’ll be getting some shrapnel in my right boob in the form of a nipple piercing – a late birthday present courtesy of my friend, Valerie. I’ve wanted my nipple pierced for such a long time. I’m really excited!

I’ve already started packing for Scotland (because I’m pretty excited about that too) and despite my vigilance, I think I’ve already over-packed. I can’t help it that I own so much stuff. In fact, I can hardly believe that I own so much considering how often I complain about having no money/clothes/make-up.

In other news, I’m in the middle of a really good book and I have lovely friends and I’m happy and nervous and excited for life right now. :)

P.S. If you missed The Secrets Party in Limerick last week, boo you! It was part of the Limerick Pride celebrations and a really good night out. Congratulations to my friend, Kate, who was crowned Miss Gay Limerick at the end of Pride Week. You absolute babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so feel free to share your opinions and your stories! However, comments are moderated so that I won't experience undue harassment or humiliation; if your comment is hateful or offensive, it won't be published.