Wednesday, March 28, 2012

having a gay old time at UL.

Since I got a much-needed exemption from Co-Op (‘work experience’ to the rest of you!), I’ve been back at UL doing some alternative modules. With most of my course-mates out of the county (and in some case, the country) on their own work placements, I expected a pretty boring few months. But I got the opposite.

Because of Out in UL, the LGBTQ society for the University of Limerick, I’ve had an amazing semester: I’ve met some wonderful friends and gone on some hilarious adventures (including a trip to Dublin to see the incomparable Alternative Miss Ireland), I’ve dressed up in drag, I’ve been to a fancy ball, I’ve laughed a lot, and I’ve started really thinking about my sexuality.

That last part in itself is pretty important: I’ve always neglected really thinking about my sexuality, because it was too difficult, too sensitive a subject. But with coming-out workshops, bi-phobia workshops, and being surrounded by people who understand what it’s like to have your sexuality labelled as a minority, it’s a lot easier for me to come to terms with who I am, or rather, that aspect of who I am.

With Leaving Cert time of year almost upon us, and nervous Sixth Years planning their college adventures, I wanted to let you all know that if you’re gay, straight, bisexual, curious, or plain indifferent, there’s a society in UL that gets it. And they are a friendly lot. And you’ll be made feel welcome.

So if you’re in UL already or you’re planning on showing up in September, give them a shout: you can find them on Facebook by clicking here, or check out the Out in UL blog. Email outinul [@] gmail.com for enquiries. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so feel free to share your opinions and your stories! However, comments are moderated so that I won't experience undue harassment or humiliation; if your comment is hateful or offensive, it won't be published.